Members and affiliates have expert professional
industrial backup alongside the
TPAQ Professional Indemnity Insurance policy.
Months run-off cover for a period
Month continuous renewal
Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) Coverage
The TPAQ PII Policy
The Policy covers you Australia wide for:
- $10 million;
- Unlimited retroactive cover;
- Run-off cover for a period of 84 months.
There is also cover outside of Australia (excludes Canada and the USA). This is often applicable to volunteer postings overseas. Please contact us for confirmation if you are considering such a post.
Who is eligible to be covered under the TPAQ member PII Policy?
You must be:
- a financial member or a financial affiliate member, and maintain that status whilst you are working;
- a non-working member or affiliate who is registered with TPAQ in that capacity;
- a student-teacher registered with TPAQ. (Students are covered for the entire period of their studies);
- an Honorary Life Member of the TPAQ.
Who does the TPAQ member PII Policy cover?
- Registered teachers.
Who is not covered?
- Any member or affiliate who is not an employee. If you are working as an independent contractor you are not covered for any work done in that capacity. If you are also an employee for part of your working week, then you will only be covered for that part of your week, but not for the time you are working as a contractor.
- Any teacher working in the USA or Canada.
What is covered?
- Civil liability for loss arising from any negligent act, error or omission.
- Where you are summoned to give evidence before a coronial inquest and you require legal representation.
What is not covered?
- Criminal offences are not covered, nor are claims arising from dishonest, fraudulent or malicious breach of duty.
- Claims from any un-financial member unless you have registered with us as having ceased practice. In that case, the run-off cover will continue for another 84 months (seven years). Non-working members who have remained registered with us are still covered.
- Claims not notified to us in the insurance period in which the member became aware of the circumstances.
Does the member or affiliate have to pay any excess on a claim under the policy?
- No. Since 2016, the NPAQ and the TPAQ have paid all excesses on all claims so no claimant (member or affiliate) has to pay any excess in the event of a claim.
Public Liability Insurance
All eligible members and affiliate members as described above are covered for public liability to $10 million (see Certificate of Currency for further details).
*Please note, Teachers from ACT are covered by TPAN and Teachers from NT are covered under TPASA.
The Teachers' Professional Association of Queensland (TPAQ) - ABN 93 587 935 271 is an industrial association of employees, whose principal purpose is to protect and promote the interests of members in matters concerning their employment. We are a non-party political alternative to the QTU and the IEU. Our membership fees are lower and reflective of costs rather than your salary. We provide all the same services, plus Professional Indemnity Insurance.